We set out Thursday morning bright and early for the Alps. No more than an hour out of the city and we were passing by beautiful lakeside villages in the foothills of the Alps. I have been in the Alps before (Switzerland a few years ago) and it was one of my favorite travel experiences of my life. That time involved no real hiking...we were wimps and took almost 5 different modes of transportation to reach our destination - Mount Pilatus. I'll never forget that, but my most recent Alpine experience was truly an adventure.
I am not an extreme outdoorsy person, but I can handle myself. I certainly had the intention of 'kickin the mountain's ass.' But more importantly, I was going to have fun. Being a fan of The Sound of Music, I knew that this trip must incorporate singing. We tried...but it's difficult to think of hiking songs when you're forced to. We tried to sing '99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall' in German...what a tongue twister! Neunundneunzig Flashen von Bier and der Wand, neunundneuzig Flashen von Bier... Ok, so that didn't work. Then, the path got steeper and I needed all of my oxygen. The singing stopped.
Friday, October 01, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment